Friday, March 14, 2008

Sex Offenders have rights too!

I don't have a lot of time right now but I need to get this thought out there.

Yes I know Sex offenders are scary people and you automatically think they are out there searching for your children so they can rape them. Well thats not exactly true. Yes there are those people out there but the term sex offender is very broad. A sex offender can be a guy who is 16, 17, 18 or whatever that has a girlfriend of any age under 18 in which he had sex with. It doesn't matter if it was forced or not. Now that the judge decided to give him this title his life is ruined. It could have been a one time incident that they are sorry happened. And yes it could be a person that has touched younger children or even raped them and has one victim or multiple. BUT because these did these crimes doesn't mean they should be shunned from society.

Part of my job is to find "sex offenders" apartments when they get out of prison. First of all, sex offenders can't live in Green Bay period because of the sex offender ban. Well everything that they need is in Green Bay so they have to live far away and take the buses, if there are buses, to those services that are located downtown. And did you know that it is ok for landlords to discriminate against these criminals? I call landlords and explain the windows to work program, not even yet saying sex offender but just criminals, and they are already saying no. People have been very rude to me on the phone and in person. Saying "oh no no no we cannot have those kind of people living here. We have long term residents and I couldn't do that to them" "Oh I am sure those people wouldn't meet our requirements, oh what are our requirements, let me think....." "Oh we don't rent to sex offenders and pyromaniacs".

Basically what I am trying to say is get over it people. These individuals getting out of jail deserve second chances and need them. Not all people getting out of prison are wanting to re-offend. They want normal lives believe it or not. Not all criminals, not all sex offenders, are bad and are out to get you and your children. Don't judge a book by its cover. Think a little deeper. That is all I have to say about this for now.

No comments: